Sunday, April 11, 2010

Homesick?

Last week, I got homesick for the first time. I had a godawful week and just wanted to escape anything related to work - I was talking to Jessi about this and she said, "See, this is the kind of weekend that I'd convince you to come down to Orlando. I'd bribe you with Universal and sushi!"

I almost started crying. This weekend would have been a *perfect* Orlando weekend.

The weekend actually turned out pretty well, but it got me thinking about things here that we just don't have at home. To keep this from going on and on, here are the top 10 things that I miss about America...

1. Drinkable tap water
In St. Augustine, I went through a pretty long phase in which I only drank bottled water - not because the tap water was unsafe, but just because I didn't like the taste. I got over that phase when I realized how much trash I was generating, and started drinking the tap water (which wasn't all that bad when I thought about it). Here, I'm sure the tap water tastes fine, but it comes with a really awesome side effect: massive sickness. It's annoying because you constantly have to have bottled water on hand..

2. Steak n Shake and Village Inn
I can probably live without the terrible food, but I miss what these places represented: my friends. These were our default late-night places where we'd order something absolutely terrible for us, and spend hours just talking and laughing. They were where we went when awful things happened and just needed to escape - because nothing bad can happen when you've got a frisco melt or coconut cream pie.

3. Italian food
Red sauce here is the equivalent of ketchup. Most cheese is insanely processed. I miss all forms of Mediterranean food like crazy! On May 15, Chris and I are having our America Day in Itaewon, and I might just convince him to find some good Italian food there (that isn't ketchup and a few spices!).

4. Gay Clubs
Dancing is my favorite form of exercise, and there are plenty of clubs here. The problem is, when I go out, there's usually alcohol involved, which then makes me *so much* more aware of the opposite gender. Gay clubs at home, for me, were all about the fun of dancing with complete strangers without any of the mess that goes along with dancing with straight guys.

5. Dryers
I think part of the reason my clothes are too big is that they don't have that opportunity to shrink back up in the dryer! I've also made the mistake of leaving paper in pants pockets, which breaks up in the wash and gets all over my other clothes - and is an absolute *pain* to get out. I've learned that once lint is washed in, it is *staying* there for good! I miss the way my clothes -especially my socks - feel after coming out of the dryer, though it is nice that none of them have faded since I've gotten here. Plus, laundry now takes a day and a half instead of a few hours..

6. Shopping
I love Korean fashion. I hate that my hips are too big for the clothes. I hate that my feet are too big for the shoes. Again, America Day...Itaewon ;) I have started to develop a few accessory habits, which I'm sure will grow while I'm here.

7. Chick-fil-A
Of course this one made it to the list - I was an addict in America :). I don't just miss the food, I miss how that place was run. Everyone was so friendly (at least at the St. Augustine franchise). Not to say that people aren't friendly here - they definitely are, and insanely helpful especially seeing as there's this huge communication block - but there is a lack of warmth.

8. Anastasia Athletic Club / My old morning routine
I miss charging up the mountain on the elliptical, and then talking with the old ladies in the dressing room. There's a path here, but it's not the same. I miss going backwards =p I miss the steam room afterwards. I miss Gail, who used to give me free makeup, and Karen who used to try to sell me condos.

9. Vilano
One of my favorite "Me" things to do was go to Vilano Beach and hunt for sharks teeth. I had quite a collection going - which Mom of course took in an effort to incorporate them into jewelry. It was so peaceful - just me. And when I would feel like I'd searched the whole beach and there were none left, I'd always end up finding one. Even though the big ones were impressive, I liked the small ones the most because they were the most challenging to find.

10. Being in the same time zone
I've been such a bad friend/daughter/granddaughter here. Lately, I've been so down (because I have this secret emo side that I'm trying desperately to shed), and just haven't felt like connecting with *anyone*. This time difference sucks! By the time I am done with all of my stuff in the morning, it's too late to call...and when I come home at night (late morning there), I'm too tired to talk to anyone.....plus, they are all at work.

Reading back, this was an insanely negative entry, but I guess if I'm going to talk about the things I miss at home, there's no way to put a positive spin on it. Next time, I'm going to write the top 10 things I will miss about Korea when and if I come home. Yes, even though I just spent all that time writing about these things I miss about America, I really don't miss living there. The other day, I figured it out: living in America is like living with divorced parents. There are two sides in power, and they don't get anything productive done because they are too busy arguing with each other. When one side comes up with a good idea that will help move things forward, the other side disagrees just because it wasn't their idea/program. Instead of helping them improve it, or working to reach a compromise, they just sit back and point out only the negatives and put exaggerated spins to bury any positives. It's not healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment