Monday, April 12, 2010

But Not Quite Ready to Leave....

As promised, I am going to write a list of the things I will miss about Korea. Which, actually, as this has only been 3 months, maybe I should call it, "The Top 12 Great First Impressions Provided by Korea"?

1. My students
I know, gag me with a spoon, but I love how competitive they are. I have one class who treats the critical thinking project like they are guarding state secrets. They get so competitive - even going out of their way during the post-presentation discussion to argue why theirs is the best. I also like talking with my older, more fluent students - they understand some of the cultural differences, so we're able to talk more about abstract concepts, and it's so amazing how smart they are.

2. The food
Just when I think everything is how-would-you-like-your-bulgogi-and-rice-and-red-pepper-paste-arranged, I eat something that's absolutely fantastic that...just can't happen in the states. Like my mistaken-not-really-bulgogi-dapbap. And kimbap. And kimchi mandu. I feel that in America, they'd find some way to deep fry both and just ruin them..

3. The foreigners
Now before you, "What?!" this one, let me explain.. Korea is a place where you form connections with people just because they happen to speak English, and I've found that I've become really good friends with people who I wouldn't have hung out with at home. That sounds a bit backhanded, so I'm going to clarify that I am so excited that being this minority has given me the chance to meet all of them. I've definitely learned a lot about myself and branched out with the person that I am (stop me before this gets too Hallmark).

4. Lotte
Yeah, had to do a u-turn after that last one =p. I love just wandering around Lotte and people watching. It's a lot like being at Target, but different - mostly because I don't spend the insane amount of money (because I'm not a Korean size in anything =p). I love the combinations of things they put together as sales, too - like the cream cheese and chapstick bundle from last week. It's such a neat combination of eastern and western cultures, too - like even though it is the Korean version of a Super Target, there's still a bit of that at-the-marketplace culture, with the workers trying to get you to buy something, or show you something, or help you choose an item.

5. The fashion
Again, a shallow idea that runs a bit deeper. I love the way Koreans - both men and women - dress. There's something about it that is insanely fashionable, but still tasteful - a concept that I think we're lacking in the US. I love that I haven't had to tell a preteen male to pull up his pants - something that I had to say at least twenty times a day while teaching in America. I love that the girls don't put their developing cleavage on display. I love that everyone dresses constantly to make an impression - there's no way a site like "People of E-Mart" could exist. But, they do all of this without sacrificing the art of looking good. America's Next Top Model is starting to scrape the bottom with it's overseas trips (Hawaii, anyone?) - Seoul would be such a fantastic destination. But, then we'd have Tyra Banks here. Not sure how I'd feel about that one...

6. The efficiency
I was talking about my students with this one - Koreans just make everything easy. Sometimes, I feel like America goes out of it's way to make things complicated just because they can. In class, I referenced the sloped conveyer-belt-people-mover at the back of Lotte so that you can take your cart upstairs without having to push it up some ramp. I'm sure that those exist in America, but not in any stores I visited. I'm sure after I post this, I'll think of some fantastic example - so think of the Lotte one as a place-holder =p

7. The Korean boys
I don't think an explanation is necessary =p

8. Indecision corner and restaurant alley
Every night when we go out to dinner, we always head to the same spot, then stand in a circle and do the, "Okay, where are we going to eat tonight?" Eventually, Aaron will look at one of us and say, "______, it's your special day - where do you want to eat?" and we all echo with, "Yeah, it's your special day..". We always end up at one of the same four places, and I always order the same thing, but for some reason, it doesn't seem repetitive (at least not to me).

9. Kimchi at pork-bone-soup and that one place I went that Aaron knows the name of
My first week in Korea, the coworkers took me to this place that served only pork bone soup - literally, soup with a big pork bone in it. I wasn't a big fan - it was kinda oily, and I had a hard time picking the meat pieces off of the bone. However, that place had some of the *best* kimchi I've ever had, and have since been on a hunt to find some that I like just as much but at a restaurant that served....not pork bone soup. I found it! But I have no clue what the place is called! I went there at like 3 in the morning with the owners of Underground (who, by the way, are completely awesome and the sweetest people on the planet) and was served....I have no clue what it was, but it was good. And, looking back, I really should've eaten more kimchi..

10. Pickled radishes!
Thinking about kimchi reminded me of this one. For those in America, when you go to a Korean restaurant, they usually bring you out these side dishes/appetizers of various simple foods. My *favorite* are the yellow pickled radishes. I have been known to eat all of them before my dining companions could have their turn.

11. The crazy drivers!
"Crazy" is probably not the right word. South Korea is a pretty crowded country - especially in the cities (where everyone lives). In America, we have pretty bad stereotypes for Asian drivers, but there's no way Americans would be able to perform the maneuvers that these Koreans do on a daily basis. I have a game on my iPhone called "Unblock" (the idea is that you have to shift around the blocks so that you can create a path), which is what the parking around the library reminds me of - yet there are never any dings or scrapes, which is what would happen if Americans tried the same thing. Traffic laws are also a bit different here - Koreans are more into the U-turns than Americans (which is so fun to watch at intersections - a bunch of cars just turning around in unison). Red lights seem to be more of a suggestion than a law - especially for busses, taxis, and scooters. The horns on cars are also less obnoxious - not the loud blast like in America, but a softer tone.

This one is getting two paragraphs =p. I appreciate the drivers because of something I mentioned waaaaaaaaay long ago - Koreans have insane road rage, but they also have something that Americans don't: the ability to forget. They'll honk like crazy at each other, but it ends there. There's no worry that one will follow you 20 blocks out of their way just to get out of the car and yell at you (or worse) because of something you did to make them mad 15 minutes ago.

12. Subway shopping
Many subway stations here are set up like little shopping centers once you exit the turnstyle. The rule of thumb to shopping in Korea is don't go to stores (with my Lotte addiction, we know I don't follow this rule =p). Street vendors and subway shops have much less overhead so they're able to keep their prices down. I bought a scarf for 5000 KRW (like $5), and want to go back for more *^^*. Still have yet to start buying clothes here - I'm kind of afraid to start...

Bonus! 13. Dr. Fish!
I know you can find the doctor fish in other countries, but since this is the first place in which I visited them, I view the experience as something Korean. I want to go back! Also, the last time I went (when Laura arrived), I totally braved the "big-fish" tank and decided I like them much better :)

When talking about this entry to a friend of mine, his first reaction was, "You're planning on leaving already?!" Want to clarify that one: No! As I said, this is probably just the top 12 good first impressions that Korea gave me. I'm sure a year from now, the things on this list will change (and you all will be subjected to another list entry!).

1 comment:

  1. hahahah this is great, Audrey... I love your comparison of some kids' attitude towards the CTP as being on par with guarding state secrets. so true.

    ReplyDelete