Sunday, January 30, 2011

This Time Last Year (Or, the Obligatory "One Year!" Post)

Fourth Weekend in January, 2010:
Got to Korea! Somehow, Thursday got lost in travel. Found other Chungdahm teachers and have managed to get lost EVERY TIME we venture outside. Freaking out over test the next day.

Fourth Weekend in January, 2011:
It effing snowed again. Dinner with Siobhain and Care!!!!! The next day was dinner with Edward! (Much fewer !!!'s)

Fourth Monday in January, 2010:
Hahaha! Passed the test! And the medical exam! Got lost in the hospital even though directions included "Follow the yellow line upstairs."

Fourth Monday in January, 2011:
Taught the lesson I was trained on a year ago! I did much better actually teaching it than in mock. Instead of using the examples in the book, I created a whole theme of convincing your mom not to hit you (we were learning about arguments and reasons).

Fourth Tuesday-Thursday in January, 2010:
Eagle reading scares the crap out of me and I hope I never have to teach it. I may or may not have cried.

Fourth Tuesday-Thursday in January 2011:
Intensives over (kind of sad face because I liked my kids). Eagle reading is awesome!

Fourth Friday in January, 2010:
Yes! Passed training! Now to Suji............and I'm the only non-Asian here...

Fourth Friday in January, 2011:
More non-Asians. I am not alone (.."they are here with me..."). In one year, I have gone from newbie to most longest-lasting teacher. My English has also obviously eroded into....awful.

Fifth Weekend in January, 2010:
Am so tired post-training and jet lag has caught up!

Fifth Weekend in January, 2011:
Am so tired because we have to work!

I remember telling myself that it would become much easier once I got in there and started working. I was right. Signed a contract to stay another year. As with all jobs, there definitely are things that aren't exactly stellar, but I know Chungdahm's shortcomings and can deal with them. I really like my students. I can tell that I'm getting bored with the curriculum, though - I go off book probably more than I should. However, Chungdahm is a business, and my students like my class, and they come back.

I'll be honest, this hasn't been a huge journey of self-discovery. I haven't changed or assimilated into Eastern culture. Heck, I have barely learned Korean. But I think I might be happier. This job is much less stressful - mostly becuase I'm responsible for SO MUCH LESS. I have probably become lazy (shh, don't tell my parents), but I've also learned how to teach someone else's curriculum - which is a good balance from what I was doing before (writing everything myself). It's definitely been a lesson in humility.

I have noticed a few ways I've changed. I used to correct people a lot - don't do that as much as I used to. I also quit saying "y'all" (with the exception of the text I sent Cait earlier - but she's from the South, so she gets it ;)). And, if it's at all possible, I think I cook less.

No comments:

Post a Comment