Monday, January 31, 2011

뜨개질 친구 - Also, Adventures with Cait on the Subway

The one highlight of this week has been getting off at FOUR O'CLOCK!!!! on Monday - which never happens. Instead of going home in the dark and falling on the invisible snow that likes to blend in with the roadways, I got to go to Care's for CRAFTING NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Was a bit unsure as I was kind of inviting myself (something I have been taught from an early age is insanely rude). I tried calling Care - who didn't answer (because her phone is forever on vibrate). So I called Cait. Things you need to know ahead of time: I live on the Bundang/yellow line - Cait has to take that and then transfer to the pink line (line number....something). Here is an approxmiation of our conversation:

Me: Hey... so I don't think Care knows I'm coming
Cait: It's ok.
Me: Where are you?
Cait: On the train
Me: Ooh - pink or yellow?
Cait: Yellow
Me: .....Did you just pass Demon-san*? Are you on my train?
Cait: I don't know.. I'm in the first car
Me: I'm in car five
Cait: Did a train just pass you?
Me: .....maybe..

We both high tail it to the middle car and meet and laugh like crazy and scare just about every Korean in the vicinity. We also, as usual, seal the stereotype that ALL FOREIGNERS IN KOREA KNOW EACH OTHER.

From the *
Cait and I usually take the first part of the Bundang line home together. In that quality time we've spent together, we have renamed just about every stop:

First - you have to pronounce it like you're from the deep south: Booon-dayng (it's really pronounced "Bun-dahng")

Seolleung: So long Seoul!
Hanti: Haunted (but with cute ghosts becasue Care lives there)
Dogok: Dog O.K. (This, imo, is the best one)
Guryong: Grrrrrr yong
Gaepodong: Gay ddong (ddong=poop in Korean. Yes, we're 5)
Daemosan: Demon san
Suseo: Dirty station (Suseo, if pronounced incorrectly, is the Spanish word for "dirty")
Bokjeong: Bye bye Cait station :( (I think we actually have a name for it - I just keep forgetting)
Kyungwon Dae: (don't have one)
Taepyeong: Tapeworm
Moran: Moron (obviously)
Yatap: Y'all tap (at this point, we're running out of creative ideas....)

That's about as far as we've gotten. I think Sunae might be Sundae..

Yes, we are children.

At Care's crafting night I managed to actually FINISH A GLOVE. This doesn't count things like weaving in ends and seaming together gaps between the fingers. But let me tell you - if you've never made gloves before, FINGERS ARE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL!!!!

We also started talking about southern staples that we just completely miss in Korea....which may or may not have made the accents come out... which may or may not have made Care realize she has NEVER seen these sides of us before. I think that's why I have so much trouble speaking Korean - I naturally want to extend and soften vowels, and round my consonants.

2 comments:

  1. Dogok: Dog O.K. (This, imo, is the best one)

    Makes me laugh, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you have a southern accent?

    ReplyDelete