Friday, January 15, 2010

Cushioning the Wait

"The Waiting Game" seems to be a popular topic on the forum lately. I'm sure CDL candidates are experiencing delays that their predecessors never had to experience. I'm one. The original plan started when I was laid off in June. I figured I'd collect my summer paycheck through August, and by September I'd be in Korea. Hah! When I received an offer that said January, I thought I wouldn't survive until then. I must have - because it's December, and in a bit over a month, I'll be on that freakishly long plane ride. When waiting for something this exciting, the days seem longer than just 24 hours. So, I don't know about anyone else, but this how I survived..

1. Learning something new

Okay, yes, this is awful and cliche and sounds like something my mom would say (and that she'd be right about, which would make me hate the advice more), but it worked. I knew that I had to find something to keep my hands busy so I wouldn't constantly call or email my recruiter. So I learned how to knit. I'm straddling the line between twenty-something and old lady with this hobby, but magazines like Vouge Knitting (not kidding - it really does exist) keep me on the safe side of things :). With Christmas coming soon, I also have that extra motivation to stay busy knitting and not worrying about when things will happen..

2. Getting Involved
Finding part time employment was a big negative for me, and I ended up having to move back in with the parents. To keep from sitting at home all day, or going out and building up the credit card debt that I finally just paid off, I contacted some of my former teachers and started volunteering in their classrooms. Plus, it could be a good way for inexperienced teachers to get to know what they're getting into.

3. Staying Active
Know the line in Legally Blonde - "Exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy and happy people just don't kill their husbands"? Well, happy people also don't get totally depressed when they don't hear about a contract ;). I fixed up my bicycle and started riding (I call it the Tour de Melrose - except, instead of beautiful French countryside, I see cows and dead armadillos). The worrying puts me in a frenzy and the release gets me up those hills (yes, there *are* hills in Florida), and things just never are as bad when I come back..

4. Making Plans
I used to be a runner, and I hated it. To keep the path from looking so long, I'd set a thousand mini-milestones - instead of looking to the other side of the lake I ran around, I'd focus on a tree five feet away, and then a crack in the pavement as my goal lines. With this start date practically eons away, I made sure that I had at least two fun things planned each month so I could look forward to something two weeks away - instead of six months.

5. Learning Korean
This one didn't help with making the time pass because it makes you think more about going overseas, but since I did have a bit of time on my hands, I invested in the Pimselur program (Rosetta Stone is a bit too rich for my blood ;)). I did a lesson everyday - had to do most twice - but I feel a bit more prepared. If anything, the language did give some hints about their culture. For example, you address older people much differently than you do younger (kind of like how Spanish has different words when talking to/about a female vs. talking to/about a male). Also, it's apparently common to ask "Have you had lunch" instead of "How are you?" You're supposed to say "yes, thanks" even if you haven't (kind of like how we're supposed to answer "fine, you?" when people ask how we are in greeting).


I have approximately fifteen thousand post its left over from my previous job, and may use those to create a countdown with little message reminders (e.g., "5 days to go - have you gotten that space bag for your pillows?"). I keep thinking to myself that if things hadn't been delayed, then I wouldn't have been able to spend almost a month with my grandma (who is this hip, rockin old lady - I swear that woman has "I Love Elvis" tattooed somewhere..), or move back home to spend time with my childhood pets. I bought a suitcase yesterday, and when I came home with it, they looked at me like I was breaking their hearts - they're smart puppies and know what suitcases mean (I already know that the day I leave, we'll have to keep circling the block because one will chase the car).

No comments:

Post a Comment