Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Koreans and Disabilities

There's a guy in Suji with Cerebral Palsy. I've held the door open for him a few times coming in and out of the bank - every time I do, I get either glared at or stared at in confusion (Sean, if you read this - there's another stare/glare example..). Last night, when we got our freak March snowstorm (if it's not unusual to get snow in March, please don't tell me), we were at a pizza place commiserating over the latest (for another post), and he walked by. He slipped several times on the frozen sidewalk, to which the other patrons (high schoolers) responded by laughing. Now, I know that's a typical teenager response, but I feel that American high schoolers at least have that "accept differences" idea engrained in them so hard that the laughter wouldn't have been so open.

My Alba+ reading students (whom I love dearly) talked to me the other night about the Korean perspectives on disabilities. I forget how we started discussing the subject, but one (quite outspoken) student informed me that having a mentally disabled person in your home lowers the value of your house in Korea. This is so opposite of American viewpoints, in which we have pushed tolerance and acceptance to the top tier. In the American classroom, any time a kid might have the slightest difficulty keeping up, we storm in with our tests and our IEP's, whereas here the parents shame their kids into working harder so that they can stay on track. I had to explain to them the concept of a learning disability, and their reaction was to laugh. I'm conflicted over this - on one had, I think that we tend to misdiagnose in America because labeling a kid as dyslexic is much easier than working harder as a teacher, but on the other, I taught kids who had legitimate reading disabilities and were not dumb by any means.

Tomorrow, the same kids will be in listening where we'll talk about Bipolar disorder. I know how Koreans view mental and physical disabilities...it'll be interesting to see how they view emotional instabilities..

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your blog, too! It's keeping me quite entertained this afternoon at work. I'm totally subscribing. This particular post really resonates with me because I have been struggling with the same confusion over why those with disabilities are ridiculed so much here in Korea.

    ReplyDelete