Thursday, April 4, 2013

So... You Lost Your ARC and Bank Card in Korea.... (me too....)

Before we get into this, I'm gonna share a bit of cruel fate with you: five days ago, I'd lost my debit card (I'm pretty sure I threw it away at Burger King like a champion). Got it replaced the next day - which was not only a relatively easy experience, I also discovered that I'd racked up like $200 in points. I'm not entirely sure what the Korean obsession is with "points" - usually this eludes me as I'm not sure how to redeem said points (maybe I should figure it out and write a blog entry on it?) but this was kind of cool. In another twist of above-mentioned cruel fate: the day I lost my wallet, I'd just replaced my online banking security card. Let us begin.

I'd discovered Tuesday afternoon that my wallet wasn't in my purse. I have a really good habit of taking my wallet out to have secret whispered conversations with it about all the things we want to buy (or, taking it out because I'd tossed a note in there earlier that day that I needed for lesson development - whatever). Wasn't in any of the usual places I like to let it rest for the night. Which brings us to the first step in the process...

Step one: Cry. (Or, if you're male, break things.)
I know this doesn't seem like a logical first step, but it needs to happen. In your home country, this is stressful enough, but in a foreign country, it just maximizes. You need to freak out and get it all out of your system, and the best place to do this is in the confines of your own apartment (as opposed to being That Girl Who Cries on the Subway). Once you're done freaking out, remind yourself that if I, a complete idiot (go read the entry about the time I almost crawled under the bus to save my cellphone for proof) can do this, so can you. 

Step two: Call your bank and cancel your card!
If you've lived here long enough, you know that you can just draw a happy face on the sign pad and they'll accept that as your signature in stores. I know two people who actually sign their name, and I think both are completely endearing. Most banks have an English hotline (Shinhan's is 1577-8380) and they'll put a stop on everything. You'll probably also want to know if your account has been used. If you don't know your number (which I didn't - I was on the subway....being That Girl Who Cries on the Subway), they can actually run it through the phone, and you just need to key in your PIN. 

Step three: Stop reading those posts about having to file a police report.
That's total bs. Immigration won't ask you for a police report to replace your ARC. I wanna punch the person who started that rumor. However, the rumors about not being able to get a new debit card without your ARC are kinda true. See next step. 

Step four: Go to the bank. 
Do this before you go to immigration. It didn't happen to me, but I have read things about immigration keeping your passport, which will leave you SOL for the bank. Plus, you're going to need money to get your ARC replaced - and then at least 3 weeks worth of cash while you wait for it to be delivered. You need to bring your passport and your passbook (that thing that we never use). If you *don't* have your passbook, it's ok - they'll make you a new one. If you are lucky, they will issue you a new debit card, and you can proceed immediately to Step 5. If you are me, such luck won't happen (sorry), and you're going to spend an hour at the bank. 

The teller is going to tell you that you can't get your debit card replaced. If you feel like arguing the point, do it - but she doesn't have a lot of power. This is the country where you can't get a Starbucks barista to make you a white chocolate peppermint mocha ("that's impossible") - so you're definitely not going to get them to budge on things like bank procedures. However, you are allowed to withdraw cash using your passport as ID. If, like me, you totally lost your passbook, your passport will serve as enough ID for them to make a new one for you. I know - they'll let you withdraw all the money you want, but they won't let you have a new debit card. I don't get it either. Especially as passports are kind of *the* internationally recognized form of ID. Next week, I'm going to the Shinhan Global Center to see if I can't get a different answer. 

Step five: Go to immigration
This was the part that inspired me to make this blog post as there were so many conflicting answers about what happens at immigration at this point. I know Korea tends to make up procedures as it goes, so what happened to me may not necessarily happen to you. You will need your passport, at least 30,000KRW, and a passport photo. 
Take a number. The machine is really confusing. There are 4 categories, you want to take a number from category 1.
Fill out the main ARC application form (if you're not sure what to put, just fill out the main information form with your name, address, passport number, place of employment, and sign the bottom). 
Find the lost ARC form. It's the most simple form they have - just wanting to know your name, address, passport number, ARC  number, and reason you lost your card (I know.. "I...just lost it?" - apparently, "because I'm dumb" isn't an answer, so I wrote, "lost my wallet"). 
If you're at Omokgyo, I can save you some time: go to the second floor (not the third - you don't need stamps), turn left, and go to the Woori bank area. Tell the person you lost your ARC, and they'll ask you for your passport and 20,000 won (I heard this amount varies). They'll take your money to the ATM and give you a receipt. Keep that! Behind you is a mail service counter. If you don't want to have to come back to immigration to pick up your passport, go there and fill out an address label. That'll cost you 4000 won (totally worth it). 

So, just to dispel some of the rumors out there:
  • Immigration won't keep your passport. But go to the bank first, just in case
  • You probably won't get a debit card replacement using your passport. Withdraw enough money for the next few weeks.
  • It will take up to 3 weeks to get a new ARC
  • You don't need to fill out a police form
  • The bigger the bank, the more they'll work with you. If you live near a bigger city, go there to see if they'll let you get card replacements.

11 comments:

  1. I hate getting new documents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post Dude keep it up.
    Get credit monitoring service and credit score monitoring winning best credit report monitoring service gives you unlimited access to all 3 reports and scores VISIT HERE http://www.bestcreditreports.com/


    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were the exact steps i had gone through from losing my wallet. It's frustrating but thankfully I were able to reapply for new cards. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I just lost my security card. Can you detail the steps you had to do to get a new one from your bank? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the easiest is to ask a korean friend to call the number at the back of the card. (My korean friend has the same card so he just called the hotline number and i was able to get notifications to just wait.)

      After less than 2 weeks, they delivered the card to my place.


      But if you dont have the number just go to any nearby bank and ask for help.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you need an appointment to get a new arc?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading this coz i just lost my wallet.. Huhuhu :(

    ReplyDelete