Saturday, July 24, 2010

Public..........things!!!

I've gotten over the whole no dryers thing, and I think I may manage to survive another x years without Chick-fil-A, but I've decided that there are two things that are quite lacking in South Korea.

1. Trash Cans
I've mentioned this before, but after last weekend, I believe it deserves a revival. The reason why people leave their trash EVERYWHERE in Korea is that there is no place to throw away anything!! Or, if there is, then that space is occupied by like 10 receptacles with specific purposes, which I'm sure are clearly outlined on the signs that are too faded for me to read. I carried around a Starbucks cup for an hour last weekend because I couldn't find a place to throw it away (conscience was too guilty to just leave it on the train).

I am wondering if the lack of trash cans is just the government's way of creating jobs for the elderly. All around my complex, there's a giant team of ajumas whose job it is to straighten up the trash area. Koreans are quite picky about recycling, and anything that isn't supposed to be thrown away is usually just thrown in front of the (what in the world would you call those things?) From everything I've gathered, this is the proper procedure. However, if you live in Suji, please reply and explain to me the difference between the purplish-red and the purplish-blue but-otherwise-identical trash centers. I know one is trash that can be burned and the other.....isn't...but I don't get the difference.. .

2. Public Restrooms
Before we begin - I'm not entirely sure I want my grandmother to read this. Well. Maybe it's more that I don't want my grandmother knowing how much I think about bathroom behavior.. .

Okay, yes, I know they exist. But I always happen to be in that one part of Seoul when I REALLY HAVE TO go potty (terminology is backlash from having a pediatric nurse for a mother - the phrase stuck =p). I've mapped out the public restrooms in the places I visit regularly...with the exception of the Gangnam subway station - that sucker just keeps teleporting on me. I've come to terms with squat toilets, and even with the one-giant-roll-of-tissue-outside-of-the-stalls-for-everyone-to-share. I even got past the whole no-soap thing (hello anti-bacterial cream).

That said, if I rubbed the magic bathroom lap (don't even try to make a metaphor out of that one) and the genie only granted me one wish, it would not be an increase in quantity. Oh no. It would be to redesign the entire country's men's room floor plan. Specifically, the location of the urinals in proximity to the doors. Other foreigners in Korea know what I'm talking about: there is no privacy wall or convenient corner to hide these babies behind. No. If you walk by a men's room (which usually is required when walking out of a lady's), you are face-to-face with a row of urinals. Being that it is obviously located in Korea, my school is designed the same way. I'm frightened out of my mind that I'm going to walk out of the bathroom one day while one of my male students is taking care of business.

Sidenote: According to a sign in the Suji Shinsegae restrooms, there is such a thing as the Korean Toilet Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment